Friday, May 2, 2008

Trickster, creator. messenger and carrion eater

My wife had a frame that she loved but had nothing to put in it. So I created this for her. The intent was to create an image with a sort of wood cut print feel to it. It will fit in our decor much better then a tentacle monster or barbarian babe slashing though a crowd of orcs. As much as I love fantasy, sci-fi and horror most of the things I create would not really work hanging above the fire place.

She (and I) really have an appreciation for crows and ravens. They are very intelligent and compelling Creatures with a complex social organization. It is easy to understand why they play such important roles in mythologies. From Norse mythology to Native American creation myths, to East Indian goddess--they are the givers of the sun, harbingers of death and rumor mongers. Claude Lévi-Strauss, the French anthropologist proposed a structuralist theory that suggests the raven obtained mythic status because he was a mediator animal between life and death. I not so sure about that --I just think they are cool.


No comments: