Friday, March 6, 2009

10 years of Illustrating

I painted the first image something like10 years ago. like many of my images it was born out of a story idea. I no longer remember the details, but it was called Home Sweet Home and something about a Man obsessed with homesteading in the west and after everything goes wrong, culminating in the death of his wife, he refuses to give up on his obsession.

And while it is not the best example of my art at that time, it is one of the first illustrations I sold. AEG bought the image for their Doom town ccg.

Now, as a sort of celebration of 10 years of illustrating I have revisited the image---- I am not sure if there are many other fields where you can measure your advancement in such a visual satisfying way. It has been a long road with many ups and downs and hours and hours of experimentation and failure and work to get to this point and there is still a long way to go as this is a life time pursuit-- my own obsession. And while I take a lot of pride in being self taught, it would have been a much shorter trip to get here with a few art and computer classes :>).

1 comment:

oneofthejohns said...

the redux image looks great, but i still think that the original image holds up well.

your illustrations are such a breath of fresh air amongst all the other stuff i see in the business of fantasy illustration. i always look forward to seeing your work.


anyhow, keep fighting the good fight.