Monday, March 23, 2009

Shadowrun


here is a sneak peek at some illustrations for the 20th anniversary edition of shodowrun. These were really challenging assignments. First there was the aspect ratio of the images(1x3.2) Very long and narrow. Secondly the art descriptions had a ton of stuff going on in these images and since these illustration are to run across two pages anything in the middle would be lost in the fold of the book so no important elements could be could be in the center of the illustration making it hard to come up with a composition for the images that would work.

To tell the truth, I think Catalyst Games were a little less then pleased. Which is too bad, I really went all out on the images trying to put in all the elements that they wanted, but I think because of my lack of familiarity with the world of Shadowrun ( I know they have been around for years and yes I do live under a rock) my images don't mesh as well with the game. What I don't under stand is why more game publishers do not put together bibles of their game worlds that contained references, rules and special circumstances-- Wikipedia and Google images only help so much. WotC and AEG do this for their game lines and it is incredibly useful ( plus it makes the AD's life much easier). Otherwise, how's an artist know what is allowed or not-- the histories, technologies, creatures, and environments, or any other number of details that make up the very detailed and fully realized world of a game that has been around for such a long time. It's like shooting in the dark and in this case I guess I miss the target by a little.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous art!!!!!
I'm a long-time Shadowrun fan, and I wish they had included these in the book!