Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Church of Quantum Teleportation

I do not get to do much sci-fi. Most of my work is in the worlds of fantasy and horror. That means my portfolio is very thin when it comes to hard sci-fi work and clients looking sci-fi piece tend to pass me by with -- "Love your work, but not quite what we are looking for"-- Well, rule # 4 of my book on how to be a successful illustrator (which I intend to write as soon as I'm a success) will state that "the client wants to see work that demonstrate that you can do what they need done." So if you want to do a sci-fi illustration you can't show them an image of a barbarian chick on the back of a dragon. No mater how good it is, it still not a space ship--apples and oranges my friends, apples and oranges.
With that in mind I have been playing around with a few sci-fi images between paying projects. This one is based on a story , nothing fully formed, just an idea--The technology of quantum teleportaiton is at the base of an intergalactic religion. In the process of scanning the original person they are rended apart, shredded down to the atomic level. When the replecant person is created at the other end of the transmission they are, in effect, "born again". Making teleportation a form a baptismal and the teleportation halls grand cathedrals ----

No comments: