Saturday, July 25, 2009

Influences

Any day my work is compared to Elmore or Parkinson is a good day. Both these artist played a role in the development of my style and love for fantasy illustration. But, my earliest art influence came comic books and artist like Berry Windsor smith and Bernie Wrightson, Jeffrey Jones and Neil Adams. Man, these guy's art was like noting else I had ever seen. So different from the steroid superheroes of Kirby and his imitators. To this day my favorite book covers are the half dozen or so Tarzan covers that were done by Neil Adams. I would urge any who love fantasy art to find them, they are absolutely amazing......
soon after that I discovered Art Nouveau, the Orientalists and Pre Raphaelites --are all very strong influences on my art, both in terms of style and what I like to paint. I think that that is what makes my art a little un-hip. Every now and then I try to create something a little more cutting edge, but it usually fails. I comfort my self by the notion that as styles and tastes continually cycle some day me and my art will be hip--providing I live that long.

1 comment:

trollsmyth said...

Bah to hip! ;D

Yeah, I know, a guy's got to make a living, too, but your work is extraordinary. I love the piece you have as the title on this blog currently. (Just in case it cycles, it's the angel being outfitted for combat by a nine beauties (muses?) while a bat-winged demon waits his challenger in an arena.) The level of detail, the you-are-there verisimilitude, and most especially the way it hints at a story, raise your work above the vast majority of fantasy artists out there.

I also love your influences, except maybe Barry Windsor Smith; for some reason, his art holds me at arms length. I think its the proportions he uses just feel odd to me. I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention the Brandywine bunch, since your colors remind me of theirs.

Keep your pencils sharp! The OSR doesn't have the sort of resources to commission your work yet, but we are starting to have an influence on the hobby. Plus with artists like John Picacio nudging the publishing industry back towards styles like yours, I think you may be "hip" sooner than you think.

Thanks for the link,
Brian