Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Eating Venom


 Since we're talking about Black Gate this might be a good time to share some of the interior illustrations Ive been doing for the up coming issue. Typically I do my illustrations for them in color even though they are to be printed in black and white. Then I convert the image to gray scale, and re-work it to give it that old fashion pen and ink feel. The idea being they have a color version for their web site and a black and white version for print. I know it sounds like a lot of work, but, John O'Neil, the publisher, has been such a supporter of me and my art over the years that I figure doing a little extra is the least I could do

the illustration here is for the story 'Eating Venom' by Harry Connolly.  Harry describes the story as one of " outright bastards, flagrant lies and manipulation, decent people trapped by honor and expectation, magical elements that are largely back grounded for human conflicts, screwed-up social/political structures, bitter resentments, and much stabbing with sharp pieces of metal" It was a good read and  fun to illustrate. 

Ill be posting more of my stuff for  Black Gate  #15 over the next few days,,,,,

No comments: