Sunday, May 29, 2011

Media exits stage left

I've been doing a ton of cover work lately and it has left me craving to work in a horizontal format. After a while the narrow aspect ratio and the need to leave space for the title text starts to make me feel a little claustrophobic. Doing the wrap around cover below wet my appetite, my desire for a little elbow room. I love doing images in a letter box format, there is something cinematic about it. In this case I was deliberately going for a very operatic, staged look to the image.

Medea was a was a big deal sorceress in the ancient world. She was the daughter of the King  of Colchis, and the granddaughter of Helios, the sun god.....and she killed a lot of people including her two sons by Jason (of Argonauts fame). Kind of an odd myth considering how so often in Greek mythology even the smallest slight was punished in to the most severe ways. Just read the stories of  Actaeon, Arachne, Sisyphus or Io. Yet Medea betrays her family, murders a couple of kings, stabs her children to death and lives a long unpunished life,,,go figure.

No comments: