Saturday, October 12, 2013

Good for the Soul

yesterday I decided it was time for a purge. I have tons of old drawings and paintings, overflowing flat file cabinets, as well as close to a dozen flat file boxes. Time to start cleaning some of this crap out. Out with the old, as they say

I must admit  that much of it bad, I don't mean bad in terms of  I was younger and hadn't mastered illustration skills and techniques (though, there is lots of amateurish stuff in the stacks). I mean bad as in bad. Images that didn't work, many left unfinished. Lots of stuff that I did in a hurry because a deadline was crashing down on me. Hundreds of paintings for AEG in the early days of my career fall in the latter category. Illustrations for Warlords, Deadlands, 7th Sea and L5R. I spent yesterday ripping up old canvases reducing a mountain of old work to three barrels of shredded paper (I only got as far as the cabinets, saving the boxes for later--ugh)... It felt great to ride myself of these images, it felt cathartic. That's not to say that everything I found went into the trash. There were many that I quite love and have included a few examples those images that made the cut


No comments: